1st Sky OMA

Loading weather...

‘This is a gift’: President Trump talks ballroom construction

President Trump provided updates on the construction of a planned ballroom at the White House, describing its design and emphasizing it as a gift to the nation.

Read the full article on KETV 7

image

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump gathered press outside of the construction site for the planned ballroom at the White House, sharing new details about the ongoing construction and highlighting its design features and purpose. “This goes down six stories. You see three stories because it’s already been built,” Trump said. He elaborated on the structure, saying, “All of these columns go directly up to the roof. And the roof is a barrier. It’s a shield. Because it’s made out of — the sidewalls are steel, impenetrable steel. And also impenetrable glass.” During the event, he emphasized that the ballroom itself is privately funded.”This is a gift. This is not going to be paid for by the taxpayer. We have a judge that thinks it’s a terrible thing that we’re making a gift,” Trump said. Senate Republicans have proposed up to $1 billion in taxpayer money for Secret Service security upgrades, which could include security for the ballroom. A proposal to include the funds in a reconciliation package was struck down by the Senate parliamentarian earlier this week. “Congress is approving money for security. It may go. Some of it may go here for additional security. I don’t know,” Trump said. The funding proposal has faced procedural hurdles and opposition from Democrats, but Trump insists the project is not partisan. “When this is finished, my term ends shortly after that. This is really for other presidents. This is not for me,” Trump said. “This is my gift to the United States of America.”

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump gathered press outside of the construction site for the planned ballroom at the White House, sharing new details about the ongoing construction and highlighting its design features and purpose.

“This goes down six stories. You see three stories because it’s already been built,” Trump said.

Advertisement

He elaborated on the structure, saying, “All of these columns go directly up to the roof. And the roof is a barrier. It’s a shield. Because it’s made out of — the sidewalls are steel, impenetrable steel. And also impenetrable glass.”

During the event, he emphasized that the ballroom itself is privately funded.

“This is a gift. This is not going to be paid for by the taxpayer. We have a judge that thinks it’s a terrible thing that we’re making a gift,” Trump said.

Senate Republicans have proposed up to $1 billion in taxpayer money for Secret Service security upgrades, which could include security for the ballroom. A proposal to include the funds in a reconciliation package was struck down by the Senate parliamentarian earlier this week.

“Congress is approving money for security. It may go. Some of it may go here for additional security. I don’t know,” Trump said.

The funding proposal has faced procedural hurdles and opposition from Democrats, but Trump insists the project is not partisan.

“When this is finished, my term ends shortly after that. This is really for other presidents. This is not for me,” Trump said. “This is my gift to the United States of America.”

loader-image
Omaha, US
1:08 am, May 20, 2026
temperature icon 48°F
Clear
66 %
1025 mb
4 mph
Wind Gust 8 mph
Clouds 6%
Visibility 6 mi
Sunrise 6:01 am
Sunset 8:40 pm

MORE newsNEWS